Today walking to work I tried to think about what I would write on my blog today. When would I have time and what is a witty thing to say? It really reminded me of a interesting day in Glasgow.
In Glasgow, I had two fabulous roommates. My first, I answered an ad in the paper, and when we opened the door and we both felt an instant appreciation for each other. We believe we have a fairly strong sense of intuition when it comes to people and it was win-win both sides.
She had some fairly significant personal issues that had brought her from Canada to Glasgow where she grew up to mentally recover from her personal "baggage". I know she had a lot of fear and mental issues that she consistently dealt with when people weren't around and the world sat still for a minute. In spite of that, she rallied and appreciated the small things in life like no other. A ray of sun would break through clouds darker than any in America, and she would run in circles as it moved along the streets to make sure she felt it as much as possible.
One day, I realized while I was walking to work, my mind rambled to the simple things in life. I literally spent an entire morning counting cars as I walked to work. How many hatchbacks can they really have in the UK? I was totally impressed by their passion for these cars that are pretty much ridiculed in America. They love them. So I walked into work counting them. (Remember, this is pre-work walk into work where your mind typically doesn't work very sharply. This mental conversation was just about what I could handle.)
Later that day, I told her about my realization that this mental conversation was pretty ridiculous. She was shocked and pretty much in awe that this could really be all I thought about. I tended to agree. She dreamed of a day when she would be able to relax and only think of this mundane type of things.
I know ... where am I going with this??? This whole conversation really made me sit back and think about my life and my luck. Enjoying a quiet and peaceful day is not a luxury everyone gets, but I am sure more than most will take it for granted. As had I. It is easy to forget these moments mean something as well. Sitting alone is peaceful and calming, not lonely and empty. I need these times and I hunt for them all over. This epiphany has stood with me and I try so hard now to not take a simple moment for granted.
You can always get excited about a good day and freak out about a bad day ... do you really fully appreciate a day that you are just hanging out? I always will now.
In Glasgow, I had two fabulous roommates. My first, I answered an ad in the paper, and when we opened the door and we both felt an instant appreciation for each other. We believe we have a fairly strong sense of intuition when it comes to people and it was win-win both sides.
She had some fairly significant personal issues that had brought her from Canada to Glasgow where she grew up to mentally recover from her personal "baggage". I know she had a lot of fear and mental issues that she consistently dealt with when people weren't around and the world sat still for a minute. In spite of that, she rallied and appreciated the small things in life like no other. A ray of sun would break through clouds darker than any in America, and she would run in circles as it moved along the streets to make sure she felt it as much as possible.
One day, I realized while I was walking to work, my mind rambled to the simple things in life. I literally spent an entire morning counting cars as I walked to work. How many hatchbacks can they really have in the UK? I was totally impressed by their passion for these cars that are pretty much ridiculed in America. They love them. So I walked into work counting them. (Remember, this is pre-work walk into work where your mind typically doesn't work very sharply. This mental conversation was just about what I could handle.)
Later that day, I told her about my realization that this mental conversation was pretty ridiculous. She was shocked and pretty much in awe that this could really be all I thought about. I tended to agree. She dreamed of a day when she would be able to relax and only think of this mundane type of things.
I know ... where am I going with this??? This whole conversation really made me sit back and think about my life and my luck. Enjoying a quiet and peaceful day is not a luxury everyone gets, but I am sure more than most will take it for granted. As had I. It is easy to forget these moments mean something as well. Sitting alone is peaceful and calming, not lonely and empty. I need these times and I hunt for them all over. This epiphany has stood with me and I try so hard now to not take a simple moment for granted.
You can always get excited about a good day and freak out about a bad day ... do you really fully appreciate a day that you are just hanging out? I always will now.

I am so glad I get to read the thoughts in your head. Recently I went to a basketball game that was having a breast cancer awareness night and the home team wore shirts with the slogan "everyday is a gift". Sometimes I think we just need that reminder to enjoy it all; the good, the bad, and the uneventful.
ReplyDelete