This year (2009) has given me some opportunities to have a small group over for a dinner party. I usually was overwhelmed by the thought of cooking a big meal for people ... what to make? What are these techniques and manuevers they talk about (dice this, reduce that ...)? I used to be happy with a night of mac'n cheese and nothing special. I love, love LOVE going out to dinner and having the best food in the world. I will pretty much eat anything ... but cooking it was another story.
Then this year I made dinner for my friend that was moving out of town and made a big show of it. We had cuban fried rice, a goat cheese spread on pita crackers, a raspberry spinach salad and homemade sangria. It was SUPER fun to prepare and make a big night of it. I had a friend stay over for a weekend from Glasgow because she had a conference in Tacoma. We made a super incredible pasta dish with food from Pike Place Market. Lime cilantro pasta with chicken and vegetables. YUM! We even picked up some Dark Chocolate Pasta that I haven't quite tried but looks fantastic.
The whole set up ... fine foods and place settings in my own house ... is so much fun! I really need to do this more. What a show!
*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

When are you going to cook for me??????
ReplyDeleteI thought I would surprise you by commenting on your blog, which you NEVER told me about. I got your message yesterday, but we were drivign back from Portland and I had a HUGE headache. I will call you this week! We sooooooo need to talk about the house plans!
Love you! Sara
Mmm- I am in on a dinner party- or a tea party for that matter. Culley says my trip to Seattle can become a yearly plan, so whaddaya say?
ReplyDeleteSWEET! you better come again. Though next time is a trip to Spokane ... I think it is Bi-annual. We will trade off. When I come there, Culley will join for part, but he will bugger off with the ladies (Madeline and ...) and give us the girl time. :)
ReplyDelete